Translate

Monday, December 03, 2007



Number 227


Christmas with Ma and Pa Hubbard



Uh-oh. It's gonna be Christmas soon and me, the eternal procrastinator, tapping away on my keyboard writing this blog instead of shopping. ¢hri$tma$ ¢o$t$ big money, so I defer it as long as possible. Nowadays in order to spare the hassles of fighting crowds in stores I shop online. As I age it's almost as exhausting using my weakening eyeballs to read my credit card numbers as it is to walk through a shopping mall.

My eyes probably wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't spent my childhood reading comic books in the dark. I ruined my eyes on those damn funnybooks, just like Mom said.

But we were speaking of Christmas, and what's Christmas at Pappy's without the Christmas stories. This year we're starting out the season with wonderfully whimsical, and yet sentimental Walt Kelly and "Santa's Elves Meet Father and Mother Hubbard." It's from the all-Kelly Christmas With Mother Goose, published in 1945 as Dell Comics Four Color #90. Another story from this issue was posted in Pappy's #66.










2 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

Funny!

I had been trolling the net for some comics related stuff to feature on my own upcoming Christmas post and this was one of the ones tht I considered.

Great minds think alike, Pappy!

Sea-of-Green said...

How fun! Your blog is marvelous -- I'm so glad I stumbled across it. :-) I was especially pleased to see your article on the Green Turtle! For the longest time, I thought I'd hallucinated that there'd once been a superhero named Green Turtle. How thankful I am to find out there really was such a hero!

Best wishes to you, and keep up the great work. :-)

-- Sea