Translate

Wednesday, March 04, 2009



Number 482


Russ Heath has a good Brain


I had plans to attend WonderCon in San Francisco last weekend, but then found out I needed surgery. So instead of WonderCon I stayed home and convalesced. There's always next year.

Dave Miller, who I'd planned on palling with at the Con, attended and sent me some photos. Bless Dave and his ever present camera. He got me a picture of Russ Heath. Russ, who was born in 1926, is 82 and looks well in this picture.


It ties in nicely with a couple of Russ Heath classics I've been wanting to show. I'm sure these stories of the Brain, from Atlas pre-Code horror comics, have been reprinted a couple of times, but they're always worth seeing. I scanned them from the Marvel 1993-94 reprints, Curse of the Weird #'s 1 and 3.














4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pappy, these were just too good to be true. Are there any more "Brain" stories?

Mr. Karswell said...

To answer Jim I don't think there were any other Brain stories, I remember researching it last year, when I posted these back to back in Sept of 2007 (from the Crypt of Shadows #11 and Giant-Size Werewolf #4 reprints), maybe something else had turned up since on the Atlas site though.

That's a cool photo of Heath, glad to see he's still around and doing the con circuit.

Harry Lee Green said...

There is a sort of continuation by the late Roger Brand in REAL PULP #2, an underground comic from the early 1970s. It's called "Return of the Head" and uses Heath's "Brain" as inspiration. I'll do a little more research on this to see if there was another in the series. Does anyone know?

Diabolikal Super Kriminal said...

Mort Todd here, reprint editor of Marvel's Curse of the Weird story back in the day: I did a few monster/horror reprints at Marvel and tried to put as much Heath in them as possible! By the way, does anyone have Heath's contact info? e-mail it to mort @ comicfix .com THANX!