Translate

Sunday, March 29, 2009


Number 496


Dr. Gordon and Mr. Eclipso



Don Markstein's Toonopedia site gives a pretty concise history of Eclipso, a super villain who is the dark side of a decent guy.

Holy Robert Louis Stevenson.

Anyway, this particular episode, with the tunnel-digging robot ROGER, was published in House of Secrets #67, July-August 1967. Bob Haney wrote it, and Alex Toth illustrated it. I know for sure because he signed the last panel in a most distinguished way. As usual with Toth, the artwork is probably better than the story, and yet the story is pretty good!

I got these scans from the Internet some years ago, 2003 to be exact, off of some DC fan site. I just can't remember where. If the guy who produced these scans will contact me I'll give him credit.













3 comments:

pond said...

'Quckly, Mona straps the man she adores to a steel panel...'

Wow! they don't write them like that anymore.

Tamfos said...

>>Wow! they don't write them like that anymore.

More's the pity.

Pappy said...

It's interesting that what seemed innocent in 1967 sounds kinky to us now.

"Roger" was once a euphemism for sexual intercourse. Those pirates were busy rogering wenches, which is why they named their flag the Jolly Roger. Bob Haney was pretty smart as a writer, but I'm not sure he knew that. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it's still funny to me.