Translate

Friday, December 05, 2014

Number 1666: Gran'pa Feeb

Iggy’s grandfather, Feeble, is another funny character added to the Little Lulu/Tubby cast by John Stanley. Stanley’s characterization of him is of an oldster on the verge of senility, revisiting his childhood with his grandson’s friends.

I have shown this story before, but these are new scans. “Gran’pa Feeb” is Feeble’s introduction, from the Dell squareback giant comic, Tubby and His Clubhouse Pals (1956). In the early days of this blog I did a short article about Feeb, using panels from this story. I mentioned that in 1956 I was more like Tubby, a kid who was sometimes lost in his imagination (fed by a steady diet of comic books, no doubt). Nearly 60 years later I am more like Feeb, a grandfather with a whole lifetime of experiences behind me, yet still retaining some of those childhood tendencies...and still often lost in my imagination.










4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not really into kids' comics so much, but I have to admit that was pretty funny. It's like Peanuts meets Dilbert but with better panel composition. Stanley must have spent a lot of time around kids to get such authentic dialogue.

J_D_La_Rue_67 said...

"...a grandfather with a whole lifetime of experiences behind me, yet still retaining some of those childhood tendencies...and still often lost in my imagination".
...In a nutshell : a lucky man.

Pappy said...

Ryan, John Stanley is known for his offbeat sense of humor; it identifies his work whether it is about kids or funny animals or even teenagers. (Best way to identify Stanley is if someone in the story yells 'YOW!")

Little Lulu, Pogo and Mad were considered very hip by college age and older readers during the early '50s. Stanley was in pretty good company.

Pappy said...

J D, great quote, and I hope it describes me -- a grandfather -- also.