Translate

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Number 1957: Night of the Red Pink Snow

I remember this story from its original appearance,* when I bought anything I saw on the comic spinner with Ditko artwork. I am sure after reading it 59 years ago I had the same puzzled “WHAT TH — ?” facial expression as I have now.

Really, folks, this is a screwy tale, even for Charlton, even for their line of post-Code mystery comics. What is advertised on the cover as a “dread secret” is really not, but a baffling explanation that literally comes out of the sky. You’ll see what I mean when you read it.

What is important about this story is the artwork, where Ditko did his usual excellent job. His drawing is a lot better than “Night of the Red Snow” deserves.

From Unusual Tales #9 (1957):








*Like most of my comics buys from the fifties, now long one.

2 comments:

Daniel [oeconomist.com] said...

*laugh* A story with an almost perfectly meaningless twist-ending! The replacement of a perfect red with an ordinary pink is a fitting touch!

Pappy said...

Daniel, "red," "pink"...since it was written and drawn in the fifties it seems kinda subversive to me.